Thursday, January 28, 2010

I finally finished reading The Sacred Meal by Nora Gallagher. I cannot wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is seeking a better understanding of the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. The author examines the celebration of Communion from several different angles. She does a very good job of relating the partaking of Communion back to daily living. She is a good story teller, telling many stories from her own life and experience. I kept waiting for her to talk about the foundational truths the Lord’s Supper was given to remember. But she never did. Instead, she related Communion more to the feeding of the 5,000 than to the last supper (p.78). And she never mentions Jesus’ words, “Do this in remembrance of me” (Luke 22:19) Nor does she refer to Paul’s words in I Cor. 11:26: “For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.” It seemed to me that much of what she had to say was based on her feelings about things and her reasoning about how things might be. I found the book to be too mystical and not Biblically based for me to enjoy it or its message.

2 comments:

Chip Burkitt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chip Burkitt said...

Have you joined a blogger review program?

Also, my blog is no longer located on Blogger. It is a Wordpress blog located at http://blog.orderingchaos.com.